A component of the course “Filling the Pipeline: Agricultural Drainage Education to Meet 21st Century Water Management Needs”
Instructor: Dr. Laura Christianson, University of Illinois
Overview: This advanced module builds on the previous “Bioreactor Basics” module to detail denitrifying bioreactor design and factors that impact performance. The factors that impact bioreactor function and how those factors could be used in bioreactor design are explained.
Outline, PowerPoint, Homework
After completing this module, students will be able to:
- Describe factors that impact bioreactor function,
- Understand how those factors could be used in bioreactor design, and
- Use that knowledge to minimize potential negative byproducts.
- Factors including:
- Dissolved oxygen and oxygen reduction potential
- Hydraulic retention time
- Water temperature
- Available carbon
- Woodchip properties
Step by Step Guide to Complete the Module:
Be able to describe factors that impact bioreactor function
Understand how these factors could be used in bioreactor design
- Be able to use knowledge of these factors to minimize potential negative byproducts from bioreactors
- Watch video 6: “Managing negative side effects” (5:42 min)
- Complete the homework assignment.
- Schipper, L.A., Robertson, W.D., Gold, A.J., Jaynes, D.B., Cameron, S.C., 2010. Denitrifying bioreactors—an approach for reducing nitrate loads to receiving waters. Ecol. Eng. 36, 1532–1543. https://doi.org/10.1016/J.ECOLENG.2010.04.008. Available at: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0925857410000807
- Christianson, L.E., R.A. Cooke, C.H. Hay, M.J. Helmers, G.W. Feyereisen, A.Z. Ranaivoson, J.T. McMaine, R. McDaniel, T.R. Rosen, W.T. Pluer, L.A. Schipper, H. Dougherty, R.J. Robinson, I.A. Layden, S.M. Irvine-Brown, F. Manca, K. Dhaese, V. Nelissen, and M. von Ahnen. 2021. Effectiveness of denitrifying bioreactors on water pollutant reduction from agricultural areas. Transactions of the ASABE 64(2):641-658. doi: 10.13031/trans.14011. Available at: https://elibrary.asabe.org/abstract.asp?aid=52168
This material is based upon work that is supported by the National Institute of Food and Agriculture, U.S. Department of Agriculture (award number 2018-70003-27661). Any opinions, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this publication are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the view of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.